More event details
What will make your story stand out to the media in 2014? Find out at our 4 February Networx, as we speak to writers, editors and producers from some of Australia’s leading media outlets, to find out exactly what it takes to get your story across the line.
Discover new strategies for approaching the media, and hear first-hand about the most common mistakes that can hinder the success of your pitch. We’ll explore how to nurture successful relationships with journalists, get noticed amongst the communication crowd, and secure a headlining interview or key editorial.
Join us for the first Networx of 2014 and expand your network of media, PR and marketing contacts, whilst gaining valuable insights into the media.
Our Industry Panel includes:
- Helen Trinca, Managing Editor of The Australian will share insights into how PRs can best work with the news media and within the 24/7 news cycle.
- Lucy Cousins, Editor in Chief of Cleo and Dolly will offer tips on working with long-lead lifestyle publications and will share her plans for the two publications.
- Cathy Murray, Senior Producer at the TODAY Show will reveal what key factors she looks for in a story and in interview talent.
- Matt Simpson, Senior Producer on 2DAYFM’s Breakfast Show will discuss the new Breakfast with the Stars and what it takes to get on the show.
Topics covered include:
- Top tips for succeeding with your pitch and guidelines for media follow-up
- Achieving coverage in traditional media vs digital and social
- Building and nurturing relationships with journalists
- Securing media attendance at events and launches, and obtaining subsequent coverage
- The mistakes we make and the media’s pet peeves
Want to know more? – Submit a suggested question for our panellists via Twitter @NetworxSydney and use the hashtag #nxsyd
Who Would Benefit From Attending:
- PR, marketing and advertising professionals, including Account Managers, Consultants, Assistants and Interns
- Business Owners and Directors
- Marketing & Communication Executives
Maximising Media Coverage
Join the Conversation#nxsyd
Here’s a sneaky peek at the speakers for this event.
Cathy MurraySenior Producer, TODAY
Cathy is currently a senior producer at the TODAY show where she has spent most of the past 15 years. Since her start in 1996 Cathy has been involved with most facets of the show from waking potential guests at five in the morning to the planning and production of our overseas broadcasts. Currently Cathy is involved with special projects/forward planning which can mean anything vetting potential interviews to planning coverage for the Royal Wedding or ANZAC day programming.
Cathy's origins are radio. She was with the CBC in Canada for ten years and worked in commercial radio when she first arrived in Australia 26 years ago. Cathy returned to radio for a few years (2006-2009) when producing Mike Carleton and Peter FitzSimons breakfast program and then later with Tim Webster ‘s program at Radio 2UE.
Lucy CousinsEditor-in-Chief - Cleo and Dolly Magazines
Lucy Cousins is the newly-appointed Editor-in-Chief of Cleo and Dolly magazines and has extensive magazine experience both here and overseas. Prior to taking on the newly created role at Bauer Media late last year, Lucy was Acting Editor for the first year of launch magazine Women's Fitness magazine, and deputy editor of Inside Out magazine. She has also worked at Vogue House in London on Conde Nast Traveller magazine, and spent three years in Argentina, where she launched a local newspaper. In addition to her experience in magazines, Lucy is also the author of four travel guidebooks and has been published in several Australian books.
Helen TrincaManaging Editor - The Australian
Helen Trinca is the managing editor of The Australian. She has held several senior positions at the paper, including European correspondent, chief leader writer, and editor of The Weekend Australian Magazine. She is the co-author of two non-fiction books and in 2013 published a biography, Madeleine: A life of Madeleine St John.
Matt SimpsonSenior Producer - 2DAYFM Breakfast
Matt Simpson has been working in TV & Radio for over 13 years. He has worked on Good Morning Australia with Bert Newton, Mornings With Kerri-Anne, produced talkback radio for AM stations in Melbourne and Sydney and for the last 4 years has been a breakfast producer at 2DAYFM. Known on air with Kyle & Jackie O as "Speech Impediment Matt" he is now the Senior Producer of the biggest radio show in Australia, the new breakfast show on 2DAYFM "Jules, Merrick and Sophie with Mel B - Breakfast With The Stars"